How To Track Time For FREE
Are you looking for a free time tracking software that will help you streamline day-to-day operations?
Your search ends here.
In this Toggl Track tutorial, we explain how to use Toggl Track and how to monitor the time used for activities.
Using this time tracking software for small businesses, you can figure out the exact time it takes you (or your employees) to execute specific tasks and activities.
You can easily collaborate with up to five users without paying a cent.
Moreover, you can integrate Toggl Track with the project management software used in your organization.
How to Use Toggl Track?
Let’s get started!
Step 1: Sign Up for Toggl Track
Toggl Track is available as an app (iOS and Android) as well as a chrome extension.
For this tutorial, however, we’ll use the free web version of Toggl Track.
To get started with this free time tracking software:
- Enter your email and add a strong password
- Click the ‘Sign up with email’ button below the password field. Alternatively, you may sign up with your Google or Apple account.
Let’s meet you inside the Toggl Track account!
Step 2: Add a Toggl Track Workspace
In this beginner’s guide, we’ll focus on Toggl Track’s free plan, which is an excellent option for small teams and individuals (freelancers, for example).
If you see the bottom left-hand corner, you’ll notice your workspace.
Click on it and select ‘New Workspace’ to add multiple workspaces.
Think about the workspace as your organization.
Within each workspace, there are teams, clients, and projects.
Most small businesses need only one workspace.
Hence, you can keep the default workspace selected for this Toggl Track tutorial.
Step 3: Start Time Tracking
Notice the timer on the navigation menu (refer to the screengrab).
It’s there by default. Now it’s time to learn how to use Toggl Track for streamlining your time allocation.
Say, you’re working on a logo design task. How would you track it?
By following these steps below:
- Head over to the ‘What are you working on?’ field
- Type in ‘Logo design’ (or any activity that you want to track)
- Click ‘Create a project’. By doing this, you can add the activity to a project
Step 4: Create a Project
After clicking ‘Create a project’, follow the instructions below:
- Let’s call our project ‘Re-branding for Client A’. Enter the same in the ‘Name’ field.
- Select the workspace from the drop-down menu
- Below that, you have the option to add a client or clients. Click ‘Add new client’ to do that. For this Toggl Track tutorial, we’ll select Client A.
- Next, you can select a template. However, since we’re creating a project from scratch, we’ll opt out of it for now.
- Below ‘Template’, you need to make your project private. If you turn this public, anyone within your account can access this project. And you want only project members to access it (private option).
- Once you’ve added all the relevant details, tap the ‘Create project’ button.
Step 5: Add Tags (Billable)
As you can see in the upper-right portion of your Toggl Track dashboard, our new project has been created (refer to the screengrab).
Now for specific activities that you need to track with this time tracking software for employees, go ahead and add the tags.
You can do so by clicking the tag icon next to the project name.
Next to tags, we have ‘Billable’.
Since this option is turned on, this activity is billable at the moment. What does this mean?
Let’s say creating the logo takes you an hour.
You can turn this task into a report, send it to your client and invoice them for your billable time.
However, for this Toggl Track tutorial, we’ll turn it off.
To use this paid feature, you’ll need to upgrade to the paid Starter plan, at least.
Step 6: Start Time Entry
When you are ready to track, click on ‘Start time entry’ in the upper-right corner.
Once you complete this task, you can click on the stop button to cease tracking.
On your screen, you’ll see a summary of your time entry.
Using the same process, you can add another activity for this project and client.
For this Toggl Track tutorial, let’s add ‘Home page copy’ (refer to the screengrab).
Now apart from the time taken to complete each activity, you can see the total time for both entries. Notice the start and end times as well.
Step 7: Continue Time Entry
This is quite simple.
If you wish to keep working on a specific activity, then all you’d need to do is locate the time entry and click the play icon next to it.
You’ll notice that the tracking resumes. Again, hit the stop button to cease tracking.
When you do, notice the grouped entries for this specific activity.
Step 8: Explore Additional Options
For each activity, you have a list of additional options too.
To access those, select an entry and click the three vertical dots in the far-right corner.
You’ll find these options:
- Set as billable
- Go to project
- Add to favorites
If you exit out of the drop-down and click on ‘Manual Mode’ (see the horizontal lines in the upper-right space).
This will allow you to manually add a time entry for a specific entry.
Click the clock icon to resume the timer mode.
Step 9: Analyze Reports and Insights
Did you know that this free time tracking software for small businesses also offers analytics?
You’ll find them in the left-hand side navigation menu under the timer (refer to the screengrab).
Click on ‘Reports’ to view, save, and download specific time entries based on teams, clients, tasks, billables, tags, and descriptions.
For example, you can click on ‘Project’ and select the newly created project for Client A to view the report.
Now, head back to the navigation menu to find ‘Insights’ below ‘Reports’.
Here you can see the insights and trends related to your projects, clients, and team.
This allows you to analyze where and how your time is being spent and how you can further optimize the allotted time, cut costs, and more.
You can also answer questions like:
- Are your projects profitable?
- Is there a way that you can streamline your workflows?
- What activities are generating the best results?
Also read: Top 5 Team Communication Software
Step 10: Manage Your Account
See the navigation menu?
You may click on ‘Projects’ to create more projects; ‘clients’ to add more clients; ‘teams’ to add more teams.
Below ‘Tags’ is where you’ll find the account settings.
- In your account settings and under ‘Integrations’, you can link Toggl Track with other important tools (such as Asana project management) used in day-to-day project and task management.
- Use Toggl Track to monitor your time entries for specific projects and tasks within Asana (for example).
- Notice the ‘Subscription’ button on the left. This is where you can view the 30-day trial of the premium plan and upgrade the plan if you like. Simply add your payment details to begin. By doing so, you’ll be able to access all the premium features offered by this free-time tracking software.
Also read: How To Use Asana
Toggl Track Tutorial (Video Guide)
That concludes everything we wanted to cover in this Toggl Track tutorial for beginners!
You are now equipped with the knowledge and tools to streamline your processes, better manage your time and boost your productivity.
Check out our Toggl track video tutorial down below to help you get started.